Writing the personal statement for graduate school is the most difficult and the most important task to apply for grad college. Admission committees will examine your personal statement very meticulously, they want to see that ” How you stand out from crowd. ” If you are applying for a postgraduate degree in the US you will usually be required to write a statement of purpose (SOP).
Table Of Contents
- 1 1) Concentrate on your opening paragraph
- 2 2) Don’t be Banal, Be Unique
- 3 3) Write Selective things about you
- 4 4) Be introspective
- 5 5) Be specific. Be dynamic
- 6 6) Explain your flaws
- 7 7) Write about your Extra curricular activities ( If related )
- 8 8) Write about your publications or professional accomplishments in the field
- 9 9) Explain why you have chosen this grad school (important)
- 10 10) Proofread your statement of purpose.
- 11 11) End your statement in a positive manner
- 12 Avoid this on your Personal statement for masters
The personal statement is also referred as ” Statement of Purpose ” or ” Letter of Intent ” or ” Admission essay “. Statement of Purpose is an essay that shows your qualifications for your field and how committed you are for your field.
Here are some tips to consider while writing personal statement for grad school.
1) Concentrate on your opening paragraph
Opening paragraph is generally the most important. Opening paragraph can grab the reader’s attention or lose it. This paragraph becomes the framework for the rest of the statement. So, write opening paragraph which can grab your readers attention. For example starting with ” how fascinated you were with mechanics at early age.” will not grab your readers attention.
2) Don’t be Banal, Be Unique
Most of the students who apply to grad school copy their personal statement from seniors or other students who are applying to other grad colleges. So throw this idea into dustbin and start writing your own Statement of Purpose. You can look at 5-6 Statement of Purpose for Reference if you want to, but don’t look more number of SOP because while writing your SOP your thoughts won’t be original.
3) Write Selective things about you
Graduate school don’t care that how awesome you play your Guitar or how much you love football !!! They do care about those activities which is relating to graduate studies. In Masters program you may have to teach undergraduate students, may have to work as assistant under professor and with all this you will have to work with your colleagues too. Any experience regarding this activities can be added to your personal statement for masters.
4) Be introspective
It doesn’t matter in which field you are going but writing things like ” I adore this Field ” wont help you to stand out in crowd. If you love you field then explain Graduate school adviser that ” Why do you want to study in that particular field ? ” , ” Why you want to work in this field for rest of your life ? “. Graduate adviser don’t know you but it is your chance to portray your self in front of them.
5) Be specific. Be dynamic
The admissions committee knows that you are applying for their program. All the application that they are reading are for the same program so do not mention that you are applying for “computer science” or ” mechanical engineering”. Personal statement for grad school is your chance to introduce your self to grad school committee. List your all concrete experiences that demonstrate your leadership capabilities and positive qualities.
6) Explain your flaws
If you had average background, also explain that to grad school committee. For example you had all C’s in some semester, write a (brief) paragraph that why you had low grads in particular semester but after that also explain that how your grades have been increasing since then, and now you have 3.8 Grade-point average.
8) Write about your publications or professional accomplishments in the field
If you presented some papers in journals or had experience in your field then briefly explain about your papers or about your duties. What kind of experience you are having? what were your duties ? How efficiently you fulfilled your duties. If you had any projects on your field then explain that also. Write about important paper or thesis project you completed, as well as anything scholarly beyond your curricular requirements.
9) Explain why you have chosen this grad school (important)
For instance you are applying yo ten graduate schools so for every grad school you will have to write a specific paragraph in your personal statement that why you have chosen this graduate school. In this paragraph write about professors with whom you have talked. Write about research work that you would like to pursue under professor, write about particular subjects in which you are interested and that are taught in grad school.
10) Proofread your statement of purpose.
While writing Statement of purpose for masters edit it number of times. Ask your friends to proofread your personal statement for college. You can do the same for them if they are also applying for grad college. You can also ask your professor to proof read your personal statement for graduate school. Just make sure that before sending your statement of purpose to university you don’t make any mistake !! Proofread twice, thrice as much as you want 😛
11) End your statement in a positive manner
Write your whole statement of purpose for masters in education in positive manner. End your personal statement in active voice do not use passive voice.
Avoid this on your Personal statement for masters
- Do not write ” What I have done in my life ” kinda line
- Avoid ” I have always wanted to be ____ in my life “
- Avoid contractions. Do not write ” don’t, can’t” etc. Formal statement of purpose should not contain contractions.
- Do not make any grammatical mistakes.
- Avoid Excuses likeI had to work while studying so my grades suffered.I maintained a 2.9 average while working in xxxx company
- FactorDo not over use “I”: we already know it is your SoP