After Taking GRE and TOEFL now you guys will start applying in different universities. Application in different universities in cumbersome process but you can do it on your own. Here is the Steps to apply for MS in US. If you have any doubt then do comment here 🙂
After taking GRE and TOEFL/IELTS first step is to get your transcripts from the universities, you can apply for transcripts before GRE and IELTS/TOEFL. In some university it takes 2 months to get the transcript. So it will be better to get the transcript asap. You will need 10-12 approximately.
- After Evaluating your profile you should select 8-10 universities. From which you can select 4-5 Safe, 2-3 Moderate 2-3 Ambitious universities.
- Some university prefer good acads, some prefer good GRE score. So also ask your seniors and refer previous year’s data. That will be helpful.
- In almost all cases you’ll have to report your official GRE scores to the University. Universities won’t accept the photocopy of your GRE scorecard. You need to report the scores directly from ETS website.
- TOEFL scores are also required in almost all the Universities. The information at the admission website will specify whether TOEFL is required or not. You need to log in to your iBT profile at the TOEFL website to order additional reports.
- Now fill the online form of university and apply to it online. After applying it takes minimum of ten days for updating in database for that university you have applied.
- TIP: There are huge delays and goof ups in score reporting during the peak time of Dec/Jan. It took 6 weeks for ETS to send my TOEFL score to one of the University. Hence, order your GRE/TOEFL scores as soon as possible.
- Then Courier this documents to university
- Passport (Front & Back)
- Degree Transcripts+ Degree Certificate or Provisional Degree Certificate
- 3 LOR in Sealed Envelop
- Resume and Personal Statement for Graduate School
- Bank Balance certificate (Original) Approx 25 Lacs Value.
- Affidavit of Support (on 20/- bond paper)
- Experience Certificates (If Applicable)
- Extra curricular activities certificates( Yes, it will help in some way )
This list can vary, it depends upon university in which you are applying. You should check requirements of university on their site.
Sending applications early gives an advantage. Some Universities follow a rolling process of applications. Rolling process means that the University will not wait for the deadline to begin its application evaluation. Universities with rolling process of admission will evaluate applications as and when they come. If they find an application suitable, they’ll send the offer. In such cases, sending a application early will definitely improve the chances.
However, as a principle, you should never wait for the Universities deadline and send/submit application as soon as possible. This will help them to check whether all aspects of your application are complete and they can revert back to you in case something more is expected. You should always leave enough time for such contingencies.
For students who are applying for financial aid from University, it is imperative to send applications very early. In fact, most Universities have a separate early deadline for students applying for aid.
Most online applications facilitate uploading the SOP and Resume an LOR’s on the online application itself. Otherwise you’ll require to send them with the courier packet.
Financial documents to be sent with applications: Some Universities ask some financial documents to be sent along with the application. These documents maybe custom documents/forms that are to be filled and sent back with bank seal etc. Basically they may ask for financial proof for some amount of money. Most students who will avail loan for their studies are not in a position to send those documents at this time. Ideally you should send authentic proof of whatever amount that is possible. In case it is not enough to cover the expenses they have asked for, you can write a simple application stating that since you are planning for a bank loan and it is not possible to initiate loan processing without a offer from University, therefore it is not possible to furnish specific loan documents at this point of time.
The application packet to be sent via post: There are a few documents that are to be sent via post. Transcripts, LORs (in case you are sending written ones), Resume, SOP etc. are a few documents that are sent via post. Basically whatever documents/proofs that aren’t uploaded in the online application are sent via post.Take one large A3 size envelop and put all the documents inside this big envelop. A group of documents can be grouped and put in a envelop. Don’t forget to write a cover letter mentioning all the documents you are putting in the envelop.
If your profile is matched with university standards you can expect conformation mail in 4-6 weeks of time span.
After that you will get I20 admission conformation by post/courier. Then you can go for Bank Loan. Then you can apply for visa. And once you get your visa conformed you can book tickets 🙂 ( Detailed post about Visa,bank loan and flight ticket is coming soon)
So, it is hard and long process to apply to universities but one can do it on their own. 🙂
Best of luck 🙂
If you need any help you can email us or comment below 🙂